Wednesday, January 19, 2005

My nose has been bloody this morning. Now when I blow it, it "smells" like burnt flour. You know when you aren't really smelling anything...it's just a smell that is inside your head? That kind. It's icky. I am sick of my nose not cooperating with me. I have a good mind to fire it.

It's warmer today. I am tired today. I stayed up too late last night reading about Twixter's. You know those shiftless young adults between the ages of 23-28 (they say, but I think it's closer to 30). The people who are still living at home, or took forever to graduate from college, change jobs often, change apartments often, want to get married but just not right now (as in marriage is something for when you are 30), change mates often -- all because they are overwhelmed with "choice," debt and a desire to find "themselves."

The top five indicators of adulthood are: finishing school, financial independence, getting married, having a kid and buying a home. I guess I am not a twixter...since I moved out when I was 18 and haven't depended on anyone but myself.

I think it's interesting to read these Time articles about ... generations in progress. It's all subjective really. I mean, isn't that what every old generation says about the younger one? These twixters would become adults REAL fast if there was a crisis in their immediate world (war, famine, plague). I doubt many would fail the ultimate survival test (ie getting a job to feed themselves). Then again...maybe they would and it would leave the world with more opportunities for me and those I can boss around ;)

As for work today -- I have a lot of typing to do. It's okay normally, but this morning I just can't get it together.

And Kathleen, YES we should have lunch together sometime. A late lunch...I don't get done until 1.20. But am pretty open to whenever you are available.

Oh and we decided not to go the Queensryche show...it was a tough decision. The concert is Operation Mindcrime..and dude...it's the Barrymore. A small intimate theather to see this concert in. Too bad the ticket prices are 35 dollars! It would cost 70 bucks for us to go. We decided to spend that money (less for sure) on a trip to Outback Sunday night. Everyone is free to join us if they want! Outback is my favorite resturant. They have the guts to make their potatos swim in butter that I cannot seem to do at home.

Hey Pat, how much Ho Chunk do you speak?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know enough to know the bad words...lol. Well I know some basic words, plus my gaga lives with me so every now and then she will speak ho chunk to me and tell me what it means. Do you have questions on any words? Ok I hope you get better talk to you later

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phil sez: wow - you're the second person in as many days to mention that queensryche is bringing mindcrime to madison; one of my old co-workers mentioned it in an e-mail after i sent them a picture of my blacksmithing project with my six-month stay in touch e-mail...

anyhow, news of this tour makes me both jealous and throw-up-my-hands-ey because the last time mindcrime was on tour, i was ALSO a student and didn't have the money to go see it either - and, yeah, 35 bucks is a bit high priced, especially as a student with no job.

erin and i applied for tutoring positions for some teaching grant program that just opened up and it turns out, from a classmate of ours who works with the lady making the hiring decisions that we're not going to get the jobs because - get this - we already have college degrees and so she can't possibly pay us enough to make it worth our time or something. hello! we're APPLYING for the job - isn't it our decision whether we're too overqualified for the positions and pay?

lastly, i just read that same twixters article - or, at least, i read one in time about the very same subject - yesterday at the library. i'd agree with you about raising the age level [especially since i just turned 33 as of six hours ago] and i also think the biggest problem uncovered in that article are two things none of us 23-33 year-olds have any control over: one is the often crushing debt load people leave college with, in the form of student loan and credit cards and the other is the severe shortage of entry-level jobs that pay subsistence wages and carry any sort of longterm benefits.

even 20 years ago, people didn't leave college with any where near the amount of debt common now and it isn't all just the five years plus plan that accounts for that; school costs too much for anyone but the rich to afford it without basically mortgaging your future. my student loan payments were equavalent to the monthly payment on a really nice brand new car and also would have allowed me to save enough money to put together a down-payment on a home - by myself.

but jobs -the ones that pay decent, family-supporting wages and benefits, whether for the college-educated or right out of high school- are the real problem. and, "class warfare" aside, i can't honestly imagine things are going to get any better when we have a CEO president intent on dismantling social security in charge.

instead of another bullshit handwringing article about what a screwup i am, i'd rather see a magazine like time contribute it's efforts to doing something to reversing either or both of those trends. which is also unlikely, i know.

5:13 AM  
Blogger hadjare said...

Hey Pat -- I was just wondering. I mean, I have been feeling bad for not making an effort to learn the language and speak it more --- although Tim would have to learn it too if I was going to converse with anyone. But you have your grandmother living with you! What a great opportunity...does she speak fluent? How does she feel about the language becoming instinct?

Sometimes I imagine that I will go and stay at my Dad's for two months and have him ONLY talk HoChunk (but I would get sick of that real quick...and he would get frusturated real quick). But you know...do like they do in the movies to learn a language.

9:00 AM  
Blogger hadjare said...

Phil, I totally agree with you -- although I never thought about those articles as handwringing -- look at what fuckups are living amongst. Although it does seem to be accurate. I just find it funny that I don't know what I belong too...am I twixter? A generation X? A Generation Y? And those others in between? I can certainly emphathize with all of them.

And you know, it's not a magazine's job to DO anything about anything. It is there job to put a spot light on the problem and let it go. Although I did admire their efforts for workong the obesity in america problem.

Seriously though...what could be done? You read then, as I did that the market for educated people is overflooded...there are TONS of people with college educations competiting for entry level jobs. Would you lower the cost of a secondary education so that there are even MORE college graduates out there? Would you limit the age/increase restrictions on who can get credit cards and then then start them with a low limit? --- something I think credit cards are doing now anyway...

Or, perhaps it isn't a problem at all. I mean...look at history. People just took over their parents lives for the most part...and that meant that they lived with or near them for a long time -- until the parent's kicked the bucket.

I don't know where I am going with this...other than maybe the real purpose of the article isn't to tell the world and ourselves what fuckups we are --- but to give us a reason to feel self important and sorry for ourselves.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we should lunch downtown. Wednesdays are good for me because I have a couple of hours in between classes. Let the interrogationing begin!

Kathleen

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]