Saturday, April 02, 2005

Okay, so yeah I am not in creative mode -- but as you can see the effort to always be creative is ... well limiting. I don't post as much and I know that ALL of you miss every single word.

I did find my phone. It was hiding behind a shelf in the kitchen by the other phone. Thank goodness. I even used it to call Callie and have a good two hour chat today. It was nice to catch up.

Today we went to the UW Madison pow-wow with our little, Ty'Quan. It was his first powwow and I was glad to see that this one was pretty well attended. Maybe it was because the ILSA (Indian laywers association or something) had their conference and instead of having their own powwow like they normally do they combined forces. We arrived in time for the feast -- prepared by the UW's catering people. They had a buffalo stew (good), wild rice with mushrooms (eh...tim said it was good -- I don't care for wild rice ...the texture bothers me. Tim says it's because it's like gristle ... maybe...), the sorriest fry bread I ever did see -- but at least they tried, and fish. We took our food and sat down. Ty'Quan looked at his food with some degree of dubiousness. I told him to try the stew.

"It's buffalo," I said as he brought it to his lips. He paused and put the meat back down on his plate. "No, I am kidding, it's just meat." He looks slightly relieved and then tastes after I took a bite of my own. He chews and and then I said "No, it really is buffalo." His face was stunned and I couldn't help but to laugh. To his credit he did finish the bite and swallow -- but didn't try any more after that. He also tasted the bad fry bread and wild rice -- but didn't finish anything. Tim and I were happy to finish it for him. After all, feasts need to be completely eaten. ;)

He actually seemed interested though! At the grand entry he stood and watched, and when we sat down I asked him if he wanted to leave or stay for one more song. He actually said he wanted to stay for one more song! Amazing! Ty'Quan had an opinion for the first time ever. Quick, notify the press!

When we were leaving I bought him a one dollar buffalo tooth as a souviner. He seemed to like it and I overheard their family asking to see it after we dropped him off at his home. I think it was a good day.

I saw some old friends -- Ron -- who by the way Zoey said that he had recently visited you. I told him that we hoped to visit you this summer, but that we say that every year. However, I haven't mentioned to you that we are actually getting money back this year from taxes so it very well might happen. I need a real vacation! Oh wait, he called you Twyla though. Man, I haven't thought of you as that for ages! He has a new two month old. She was really cute.

I also saw Shaun -- who I haven't seen in years. Apparently he moved back into town and is living on the west side. I gave him my email so we could catch up ... we'll see if he actually emails me. And I saw Becky -- who is is now a lawyer for the oneida tribe working with her husband and she had a eight month old. It was really cool to visit with old college indian alumni. I also saw Roberta, Gary and Jean but didn't get a chance to say hi. I even talked with Aaron who told me that I began a curse for the native coordinators to all suffer major physical injuries. OH my legacies aren't always that great. :/ In any case I had a great time and even bought some beads. Apparently a woman at Mounds today told Tim that she wanted to commission a collar for her german shepard. I have to finish the two for Wendy first though (she had greyhounds)....too bad they didn't have pink. Pink seed beads are always so hard to find. I also priced everything they were selling there (barrettes, keychains (anywhere from 10 - 40 bucks! With median price at about 25-30), earrings, etc) ...and I could make a KILLING if I ever got off my ass to sell things.

Speaking of which...Eric and I talked it over. He thinks I should just stick with wazika for the new team craft blog, but after a lot of thought I decided I wanted to start fresh. Besides, everyone involved will link to it, and it will actually have meta tags (something wazika does not use). Also I can grant Eric admin access to the new site so that he can do his fancy html work and make it the awesome sight I KNOW it will be (and really wazika is a mess inside -- I don't need other people to see my dirty html laundry). Of course I plan on helping as much as I can (setting up the team blog, getting information, etc), but I can say without feeling bad that my web skills aren't as advanced as his are right now. I also convinced Callie today that she should be a guest writer --- telling us stories and how it is actually running a small jewelry business and doing art fairs. So the name of the new site? I know you are all waiting with bated breath -- I came up with: tceku it is ho-chunk for: new, make (beginning). I think it is perfect what this adventure is about to embark on.

This is YOUR chance wazika fans. I invite any who reads this to be part of this new journey. The only requirements I have right now is that you must be interested in craft and posting as least once a month. By craft, my definition is loose -- I want anything that is hands on. The definition is ---- Craft: Skill in doing or making something, as in the arts; proficiency. An occupation or trade requiring manual dexterity or skilled artistry. The membership of such an occupation or trade; guild.

This can include anything that you make: yarn, needlework, sewing, art (only if you make it...so painting, stamping, sculpture, woodwork, etc...would work. Buying kits does not work and I don't qualify photography as craft), beadwork, leatherwork, stainglass, metal smithing, home improvement projects, weaving, basketry, clothes, jewelry, metal work, wirework, glass, tile, mosaic, refinishing old antiques ... restoration, paper craft, candlemaking, soap making, etc. I also plan on implementing a section where products (if you have them and want to) can be sold. I'd love to have you along, so if you are interested please email me here...right now while you are thinking about it.

Alot of people asked for the Asparagus Soup recipe after scrabble last week. This vegetarian dish I found on Allrecipe.com (my favorite recipe site hands down. I have learned how to make everything from taco seasoning to spaghetti sauce). I would write the recipe down, but I had scaled it to fit 12 people and it would probably be too much for everyone's purpose. Therefore, I will just give you link here (which as the normal version).

So yeah, I have given you tons to think about. I know it. You know it.

We stopped at Woodman's on the way home and bought a sampler pack of City Brewery beer from LaCrosse for only seven bucks! What freaking deal. I thought for sure the beer must suck, but my friends, it does not. Go out and get some for yourself. It's good. So good.

Also, I got an awesome package from Jen today that included CANDY! Can you beat that? No, especially if it is wafer candy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm interested but i couldn't click on that link you had since it takes me to the microsoft e-mail and we don't use that stuff. mostly on account of how i don't know where to go to check it and i'm just used to using yahoo/google mail anyhow...

but whatever. i put together a stained glass piece the other day and took a few pictures to document the process... not as many as i figured i would at the start but it was difficult remembering to stop what i was doing and take pictures when i got so caught up in the process i just worked straight through lunch. it was just an abstract random pattern using scrap glass but it came together pretty okay - and the pics are yours if you want 'em.

only, you'll have to let me know what sort of format you want them in and whether you want them sized or not and technical stuff like that - erin's camera takes pretty huge digital files if the shots aren't cropped.

on a completely different note - i can't believe you don't like wild rice! we make a wild rice soup that is just fantastically great... i mean, it's basically rice, mushrooms, butter and cream so i'm not sure you'll think it sounds all that great.

but we love it - yummy and good.

12:01 AM  
Blogger hadjare said...

Well the link was just to my email....I guess you have it set up on your computer to just open whatever email program you have. For example, mine is set up to just open Eudora (which I still use).

The thing with wild rice...it' the texture. It feels like I am eating what maggots must be like -- they had mushrooms in it to -- with some kind of sauce, but since I can't eat mushrooms it doesn't really matter.

The stained glass piece sounds awesome! I am collecting pictures and what not already so that there will content for when I start. I can always resize the pictures -- so that isn't too big of a deal. If you can hold on to them for a bit longer and maybe write about what you did -- the idea, and what you were aiming for ... that would be great. It won't be long before the site is up -- or at least the journal page since that is easy and posts can always be moved. But really, THANKS Phil, this is SUPER cool and I don't know anything about stain glass so I love to see more and see how it works, etc.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does one pronounce the word 'tceku'? I flunked Ho-Chunk when I was in school ...

7:28 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I don't like wild rice either. "here is a plate of soggy tree bark" yeah. chew chew...gulp

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]